Thursday, October 30, 2014

Holy Eve

Many people have forgotten the religious significance of Halloween which means holy eve.  It is from the Old English all hallow E'en. The Feast day which it precedes is all Saints Day celebrated on November 1st.  This is directly followed by All Souls Day on November 2nd.  For the past few years the children have dressed up as Saints or important religious figures in the Bible.  This has been lots of fun.

One beautiful surprise came two years ago when my daughter
 was invited to go to a pumpkin patch and pick out a pumpkin for carving.  When she came home she was so excited to show us what she had carved.  It was a large cross.  She told me she tried to carve Our Blessed Mother but it was too difficult.  She then had a wonderful idea: a Cross.  She mentioned that there was some discussion at her friend's house about her choice.  It made me smile to hear how Alina had suggested a holy theme for the carving.  She shared with them that it was important to pick a religious theme as the meaning of the holiday is really about the Feast the next day.  To hear these words coming out of my daughter made me so grateful to Our Lady.  I take no credit for my daughters inward desire to show her love of her faith.  This is a gift from Our Lord and a fruit  of prayer of the Holy Rosary.  More and more I see that Our Lady guides our children and protects them when we call upon her through the Rosary.  She keeps them simple and pure.  She keeps them children when the world is calling them to grow up too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment